LANAP® laser gum disease treatment is an easier, gentler way to get healthier gums. One session usually takes about two hours and requires only some local anesthetic. Plus, most patients are able to resume regular activity the very same day – without any pain medication.
Here’s what to expect when you visit Dr. Cook for a LANAP® laser gum disease treatment:
1. Measuring the gum pocket depth. As periodontists, Dr. Deana Cook will use a probe to determine how deep your gum pockets are and how much connective tissue has detached from the roots of your teeth.
2. Removing diseased tissue and bacteria. Our doctors at Cook Periodontics will apply extremely targeted and painless pulses of laser light between your teeth and gums to kill bacteria without harming nearby healthy tissue. LANAP® laser gum disease treatment is specifically designed to leave good tissue intact so it can reconnect and support existing teeth.
3. Removing the calculus. The laser is used to weaken all of the calculus – also called tartar – embedded under your gum line so your periodontist can clear it away using tiny, ultrasonic scalers.
4. Creating clots to promote healing. During this stage of laser gum disease treatment, your periodontist will use the laser to stimulate soft tissue, root and bones, which causes the blood to thicken and form a clean, protective barrier around your teeth.
5. Compressing the gum tissue. One of the best features of LANAP® gum disease treatment is going home without a single suture. Drs. Cook simply compresses your gum tissue to the surface of the roots and your body does the healing naturally.
6. Adjusting the bite. In this final step, your periodontist will adjust your bite to ensure that your teeth remain comfortable and stable. This is particularly important for any teeth that have incurred bone loss.
We are accepting new patients in both our Wilmington and Leland offices!
Dr. Deana Cook, located in Wilmington and Leland, NC, is an experienced periodontist who serves patients from Castle Hayne, Porters Neck, Odgen, Leland, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Southport, and Hampstead. Dr. Cook, along with our entire team, is looking forward to welcoming you to our office and encourage you to schedule your appointment today!